Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Chinese-Malay Affair

Okey la since I am quite free today, let share the story about how I was asked to wear 'tudung' for my Muslim Card. No offend ya. This is just a sharing, so that I hope it won't happen to others, especially the new comer like me.

So there was this day I went to one of the Islamic office to register as new comer. After registration, I was asked to meet an officer to choose a new name. That was the moment where we (my husband and I) had an argument with the officer about the name we had chosen long ago. (See my previous post) I was a little upset with the way the officer trying to convince us that "Jessenia" is not a Muslim name. Sorry to name is as rude.  He did Google the name on the spot but sad to say he's insisting that the name cannot be used as it is a Spanish name. Well one name can be used by different country right? It is also stated "Jessenia" is an Arabic name and mainly used by the Muslim. Sigh~ For me, whatever it is, it's just a name. What most important is my heart to the religion, not the name.

Back to the topic I wanna share about the wearing "tudung" (headscarf) story...

Okey done with the name changing. I was asked to go another section to take photo for my Muslim card. At the counter, I greeted the lady with "Assalamualaikum...", without answering me she passed me a "tudung" and asked me to wear. Honestly, I didn't know how to wear the tudung. Without asking more, I took the tudung and tried to wear it. Since it is just a plain scarf (not the one main sarung saja), I just simply put it on, slung the tips crossing each other on my shoulders. No mirror is provided so I didn't know how do I look like or whether am wearing it correctly. So when I thought I am ready to take photo, the lady again said "Eh..pakai la tudung tu baik-baik sikit. Rambut you tu, jangan bagi keluar. Pakai tudung pun tak reti macam mana nak jadi saudara baru." Again I keep quiet. I was so frustrated at that time, I really wish she will lend me a hand to put on the tudung nicely. Instead of helping me, she just stood at one side looking at me, with her restless look. Until today I am so sad when thinking about it again. Though I was hurt with the way I was treated but that's doesn't mean I hate the Malays or Muslims. These people are just the minority cause I have met many nice Malay friends and they are so helpful too. :) Again, it's just a sharing, hope no one get offended k..^^

Well, to share another story...

I have few friends were in relationship with Malay guys. Just take one as example. Been together for 5-6 years, but end of the day my friend need to choose between family and love. Since she is born in a strong belief in Christianity, she got no choice but to let go her love. Trust me. They were in pain now. This is very sad. They were letting go not because there's no more love, but not to hurt. It was unfair isn't it? Will this and the cultural differences make it less likely for many out there to survive as a couple?Who should get the blame? NOBODY. Cause love is never wrong, just us the human.

The fundamentals of love are romance, companionship, understanding and support. You have to believe these cross cultural boundaries, if you really believe in true love. Have a pleasant day all. Merry Merry Christmas!







12 comments:

  1. That makcik who asked u to MAIN the tudung nicely...disgrace Islam! There is NO rules or orders in the Quran or Sunnah to layan the new comers in such embarrassing way! She should have been more supportive.

    Really disappointing. Patut pigi report tu Lo. Seriously, sy yg mmg born as a Muslim pun malu ok ada orang layan the new comers mcm tu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry2 bie..she didn't say 'main', I type it wrongly..is 'pakai'..nway thanx for pointing it out. But still, I am so sad with the way I was treated. Luckily I am not 'new' in knowing Islam. Or else I really get very bad impression with the religion. Well to be more exact it's the people, not the religion.Anyway thank for your concern Bie..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Main or pakai...sama jg tu maksud tu makcik! Lucky u're not new! It's the people yang selalu kasi salah message, I couldn't agree more with u.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I guess benda2 gini jarang happen in our place kan..?It's so tough being one here..:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so saddening isn't it? Instead of being welcomed, you are being treated like nobody. Actually they should be happy that there are new comers who embraces their religion! Anyway, I do respect and admire your courage Jesse. You and your hubby have come a long way to be where you guys are today. Stay strong and you always have our support! ;)

    True friends will never judge you, those who judge you are only passerby and they are not important hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivian: Thank so much for the encouraging words..it somehow gives me a smile as I know there are many out that not racist and simply judging one..and I know you are one of them..Thank you..:)

    Hey!Dragon year is on the way..get one soon!:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. hohh! poor u kollo! eii geramnya i with that makcik. i knowww this type of makcikk! memang rasa mau lempang kan! huhu
    sorry kollo, i really malu with this. saudara baru ke non muslim ke muslim ke shouldnt be treated that way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ederq: It's ok..it's over..:) I tak kecil hati pun just a bit sad with the way they serve people. Bad impression lo..apa-apa pun thank for your concern...well you are one of the good Muslim I know...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be brave Jesse you have our support, Allah swt always with us. About that makcik, deep inside my heart I'm really2 wanna slap her, because of her attitude and the way she treating you like that is most disgraceful to Islam society.
    Be strong ya sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Hakim..it's has been 2 years now..being a Muslim isn't as bad as others may think. It's all about how to adapt to it, to learn & to accept. People like those makcik is everywhere in earth, we couldn't do much to stop them but rather to ignore the unnecessary frustration & believe in the religion that brings more peace than war..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. actually, as long as the name hv good meaning, it can stay. it is supposed to be a light matter, but u know...they always make things hard .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always feel guilty to rip off my child basic religion freedom rights, deprive my child from such fundamental basic human rights, since she was born. My chinese wife have to convert, just to be my wife, and Im not allow to renounce my muslim fate. Being in this country, Im such a failure, even I dont believe in my religion, I have no choice! I cannot give my childs basic human rights, basic religion freedom to her and go seek for her belief when she is mature to think on her own (if she want to be muslim when she is mature, then be it, is her choice).
    I promise my family that I will work hard to immigrant to Canada, so that god dammit islam is not a barrier in my life. And they are gladly im fighting for it. Gonna be canadian soon.
    Cheers
    Ali.

    ReplyDelete

A Muslim convert, is it hard?

I was called to write this post. It's sad to know some of my fellow friends got bullied for something they are not aware of..I am sharin...